Fonoa's goal is to change how companies globally handle their taxes, and we're committed to building world-class products. We’re building a fully distributed team. We give people the freedom to work wherever and how they want, enable more fluid communication and put our time where it matters the most - decisions. We are curious, dedicated, and humble. We are building a workplace that fosters inclusivity, openness, and trust, where we can all be authentic and human in everything that we do. We trust the expertise of our employees and give them freedom to solve complex problems to make taxes simple, automated, borderless, and accessible for the internet economy.
About the role
As a Tax Research Analyst, you will be working alongside an exceptional team that is building products to solve tax problems for some of the world's largest and best known technology brands… at speed.
If you have a background in Indirect Taxes, a thirst for knowledge, a natural curiosity on how to solve problems and a passion for building awesome products then this is the job for you.
This is a great opportunity for a bright and motivated individual to help us build even better and more robust products. You’ll quickly expand your knowledge on indirect taxes at a global level, setting you up for a great future in indirect taxes throughout your career.
What you will be doing:
- Perform research and expert interviews to understand tax requirements of a given country (Real Time Invoice Reporting, Tax Number Validations, Data Sharing, Tax calculations and Tax Returns).
- Document tax research and summarise findings in a clear and concise way that makes it understandable by non-tax specialists.
- Evaluate tax content accuracy of existing software and products offered by Fonoa.
- Suggest concrete actions stemming from research findings particularly if changes are required or if opportunities should be researched for additional product offerings.
- Collaborate with product managers and engineers to optimize our products and ensure that they satisfy client needs and expectations.
- Work with different functions and a wide mix of stakeholders (clients, project managers, founders and other subject matter experts) to fully understand the challenges faced by them and potential solutions.
- Be ready and eager to take on additional responsibilities early on.
- Other possible functions to be covered upon business needs are:
- Monitor and maintain existing tax rules for assigned jurisdictions by monitoring tax law changes.
- Monitor and maintain indirect tax and withholding rates.
- Monitor and maintain platform and marketplace specific rules in the field of taxation.
You would be a great fit if:
- A genuine natural curiosity, can-do attitude towards work and a pride in the products that you help to build.
- 3-5 years of hands-on work experience in indirect taxes.
- Experience of working in-house at a fast paced technology company is a plus.
- Ability to prepare and maintain accurate documents and present written ideas clearly is essential.
- A degree in a relevant field (JD/LLM in tax Law, ATT or CTA in Tax) is beneficial, but not essential if you have other relevant experience.
- Familiarity with tax returns, government compliance is helpful (e-invoicing and or Live-reporting experience such as in the UK, Hungary, Spain or any LATAM live-reporting experience).
- Understanding and knowledge on ERP systems and their database structures (SAP, ORACLE, JD Edwards, etc) is a plus.
- Fluency and experience in a foreign language (other than English) is a plus.
If you feel you don’t have the full experience we’re looking for, but feel you could be a bit fit, are willing to learn, do apply anyway! We are trying to build a diverse and inclusive team.
Our Hiring Process
We see hiring as a human process. A two-way conversation to see if there is a good fit between you and us. As a startup growing quickly, we also like to keep things streamlined, and currently, our process won’t include a lkive task, whiteboards or technical assessments.
An idea of your hiring journey with us:
- Meeting with Recruiting to introduce each other and explore mutual interests.
- Follow up via email to cover other questions in a written manner
- 1 hour conversation with the hiring team to get to know each other and see if you would be excited to work together.
- 1 hour conversation with our co-founders.
We aim to give you the best candidate experience, keep you updated and be transparent with our feedback along the way.
Our take on equal opportunities
Fonoa gives equal opportunities to everyone. We look at individuals for what they bring to the organisation and for who they are as people regardless of ethnicity, race and background.
We currently have over 20 nationalities in our team, we’re continuing to build a diverse team as we want to work with the best people, from all over the world.
- Our salary range depending on experience is of €60k - €120k per year
- Attractive equity to keep you positively incentivized
- Yearly equity and cash bonus based on individual performance (above market)
- We are backed by leading VC firms who have invested in many successful companies (Index Ventures and Omers Ventures)
- Our team are builders at heart, you’ll have the chance to work with incredibly smart, driven, ambitious and down-to-earth people who focus on the bigger picture.
- Flat hierarchy, open, honest and feedback driven principles.
- Product first culture.
- Best idea wins; we’re all ears when it comes to ways to do things better.
- Interest based groups; cooking, fitness, book club, music, pet, you name it!
- Frequent visits to virtual Fonoa HQ and our Fonoa island on Mibo